This is a very frequent question that we receive in our office. Undocumented migrants who are victims of the following crimes may qualify to apply for and obtain the U visa.
List of crimes that may qualify for the U visa:
- Assault, which includes felonies (serious crimes) such as stabbing, shooting at a person, violent entry into a house with people inside and armed robbery.
- Homicide and murder
- Jury manipulation
- Female genital mutilation
- Obstruction of justice
- Perjury, that is, when a witness lies in a trial
- Prostitution or any other form of forced sexual exploitation
- Kidnapping, holding a person illegally or in a situation of slavery
- Being forced to work in a situation that you do not want or to repay a debt
- Trafficking of people, that is, the illegal trafficking of a human being with the purpose of exploiting him or her sexually, laboriously, to extract an organ, etc.
- Domestic violence, both in cases of marriages and dating couples, both heterosexual and homosexuals. Includes physical abuse and serious verbal harassment
- Sexual abuse or unwanted sexual contact or sexual assault.
If you would like to find out if you may be eligible for a U Visa, call us for a consultation at 225-963-9638