Fraudulent Documents for Identification Purposes
Louisiana Revised Statute 14:70.7
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to knowingly or intentionally produce, manufacture, distribute, or possess fraudulent documents for identification purposes.
B. For purposes of this Section:
(1) “Distribute fraudulent documents for identification purposes” means to sell, give, transport, issue, provide, lend, deliver, transfer, transmit, distribute, or disseminate fraudulent documents for identification purposes.
(2) “Fraudulent documents for identification purposes” means documents which are presented as being bona fide documents which provide personal identification information but which are, in fact, false, forged, altered, or counterfeit.
(3) “Personal identification information” shall include but not be limited to a person’s:
(a) Social security card.
(b) Driver’s license.
(c) Credit card.
(d) Debit card.
(e) Electronic identification number.
(f) Birth certificate.
(g) Voter registration card.
(h) Any proof of residency, including utility bills, bank statements, or other government document showing the name and address of a person.
(i) State-issued identification card.
(j) Armed forces identification card.
(k) Government-issued identification card.
(l) Financial institution account card.
(m) Visa or passport.
(n) Student identification card.
(4) “Possess fraudulent documents for identification purposes” means to possess fraudulent documents for identification purposes.
(5) “Produce or manufacture fraudulent documents for identification purposes” means to develop, prepare, design, create, or process fraudulent documents for identification purposes.
C.(1) Whoever violates the provisions of this Section by possessing a fraudulent document for identification purposes shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.
(2) Whoever violates the provisions of this Section by distributing, manufacturing, or producing a fraudulent document for identification purposes shall be fined not more than five thousand dollars, or imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than three years, or both.
D. It shall not be a defense to prosecution for a violation of this Section that a fraudulent document for identification purposes contains words indicating that it is a novelty item or an indication that it is not a document for identification purposes.
Call Rusty Messer & Associates at (225) 963-9638 if you have been charged with a crime and would like to discuss your case with an experienced Louisiana criminal defense attorney.
We regularly handle criminal charges in the following parishes: Ascension Parish, Assumption Parish, East Baton Rouge Parish, East Feliciana Parish, Iberville Parish, Livingston Parish, Pointe Coupee Parish, St. James Parish, St. Helena Parish, West Baton Rouge Parish, West Feliciana Parish.
We regularly handle criminal charges in the following cities: Baton Rouge, Clinton, Convent, Denham Springs, Donaldsonville, Gonzales, Greensburg, Livingston, Napoleonville, New Roads, Plaquemine, Port Allen, St. Francisville.
CONTACT A CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER TODAY
If you have been arrested or charged with a crime, call us today to schedule a consultation where we can discuss the case and your rights. Being charged with a crime is a serious matter that can have life long implications. We have handled thousands of criminal cases and regularly handle cases in both state and federal courts as well as in juvenile courts. Let us fight to protect your rights.
More Practice Areas
Questions and concerns?
Rusty Messer & Associates will be with you at all times, that’s why we recommend you to write to us in the contact form.