Fiancé and Marriage Visas

With expertise in all aspects of family-based immigration, Louisiana immigration attorney Rusty Messer has successfully helped numerous couples obtain fiancé visas (K1 and K3 visas), marriage visas and other US immigration benefits including Adjustment of Status petitions, travel documents, work authorizations, and travel visas.

K1 Visa: the Fiancé Visa

If you are a citizen of the United States who is engaged to be married to a foreign citizen, or if you are considering marriage, the K-1 visa is the most obvious US immigration option.  The K1 visa allows you, as a U.S. citizen, to bring your soon-to-be spouse to America for a ninety-day time period, during which time your fiancé must either marry you or return to his or her home country.  

K3 Visa: Visa for Spouse

The Form I-129F is not just an immigration visa petition for a fiancé but may also be used by a spouse. Among other provisions, the Legal Immigration and Family Equality Act, the so-called LIFE Act, expanded the availability of K visas to include the spouses, the K3 visa, and minor (under 21 and unmarried) children of U.S. citizens who are residing abroad, and the K4 visa. In order to obtain a K-3 visa, the American spouse must have submitted an I-130 immigrant petition.  Once the I-130 receipt notice is received from USCIS, the US citizen spouse can then file the I-129F.

K4 Visa: Visa for Children

In addition to allowing spouses of U.S. citizens to enter the U.S. to apply for adjustment of status, Congress created the K-4 visa to allow minor children (under 21 and unmarried) of K-3 spouses to enter the U.S. as well.

Expert Immigration Guidance for your K Visas

At the immigration visa law firm of the Law Offices of Rusty Messer & Associates, our goal is to provide the highest quality of professional legal service for our immigration clients.  For those seeking a K1 or K3 visa, our immigration services may include:

Preparing all immigration forms:  the immigration process of obtaining a marriage visa or K visa typically involves some combination of the following immigration forms:

  • Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)
  • Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act
  • Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
  • Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization
  • Form G-325A, Biographical Information
  • DS-156 Nonimmigrant Visa Application
  • DS-156-K Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e) Visa Application
  • DS-157 Supplemental Nonimmigrant Visa Application

From our immigration law offices in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, our immigration lawyers will carefully complete all the necessary immigration forms and assemble all the required fiancé visa documentation to ensure that your immigration visa case is processed efficiently without delay.

Preparing you for your K visa interview at a U.S. Consulate:  At the Louisiana immigration Law Offices of Joshua L. Goldstein, our immigration lawyers don’t just prepare the USCIS immigration petition for you. We carefully manage your immigration case throughout the entire immigration process. In our judgment, a skilled immigration attorney is especially crucial during the difficult Embassy/Consular stage, where the fiancée is preparing for a possibly problematic interview abroad with an immigration officer.  In our experience, the immigration interview at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy is where most potential problems with a K visa occur.

Resolving problems with immigration agencies:  The Immigration team at Rusty Messer & Associates helps to resolve problems with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS formerly known as the INS), the Department of State National Visa Center (NVC), and the U.S. Consulate in your fiancé’s home country.

Why an immigration attorney is essential

You basically get one shot at the K visa since the denial of a visa at a U.S. Consular post is generally a non-reviewable and non-appealable decision.  Clearly, the time to involve a good immigration attorney is from the beginning of the immigration case before an unfixable problem arises.  Aside from an outright denial, an improperly documented marriage visa may result in a vague or cryptic “refusal” under § 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  The Consulate rarely provides the fiancée with a meaningful explanation for why the fiancé visa was refused or how the refusal may be overcome.  In our experience, a INA 221(g) refusal results in, at best, months or years of delay while your marriage visa remains stuck in the immigration bureaucracy.

Contact Louisiana K visa attorney Rusty Messer at (225) 963-9638 today and take the worry out of the marriage visa process.


At Rusty Messer & Associates we provide residents of Louisiana with legal assistance in cases involving personal injury, immigration, and other areas of law. Our attorneys ensure that each client receives the personal attention that they deserve. 

We are committed to handling each case with the care and attention that it deserves. Our legal team and staff are dedicated to protecting your legal rights and we will fight to defend them. 

The lawyers at Rusty Messer & Associates have substantial experience in both state and federal courts. Our home office is located in Baton Rouge, but we handle cases throughout the state of Louisiana and Texas as well. 

If you or someone you love is struggling through the difficult immigration or deportation process, our immigration attorneys at Rusty Messer & Associates want to help. Contact our firm today at (225) 963-9638 to speak with a representative and schedule a free consultation. 

Call For a Quote:

(225) 963-9638

More Practice Areas

Personal Injury

Criminal Defense

Questions and concerns?

Rusty Messer & Associates will be with you at all times, that’s why we recommend you to write to us in the contact form.